Are you having pain on your upper back? You may be praying for the pain to disappear as soon as possible. You have to take necessary treatment for upper back pain. Proper treatment may address the symptoms of pain associated with upper back. There are various causes of pain associated with upper back such as muscular strain, poor posture, injury to disc and ligament. Stress can also cause the tightening of muscles or contraction. If upper back pain is controlling your life and making it difficult to accomplish daily activities, you may take proper treatment for it. Back pain can make you unproductive and you may be restricted to indoors. Pain associated with upper back is also termed as Thoracic. Pain from the back may move to the neck and shoulders causing great discomfort.
What kind of treatment to adopt for back pain?
If pain in the upper back is acute, something has to be done. How you respond to the pain is associated with severity of the pain. Pain does vary from person to person and the treatment is purely subjective. Know the various causes of pain and then choose the treatment. Some of the causes of back pain are given below:
- any imbalance of joints and muscles resulting from poor posture or exhaustive daily works may lead to it.
- weak muscles resulting from laborious activities and natural aging
- when you age, the spine can undergo normal wear and tear. The spine can degenerate to cause the overall weakening
- unused joints can cause pain at the back and this mainly results from sedentary lifestyle
- Pain in the upper back can cause pain in the lower back as well. When the lower back gets damaged, the upper back is also affected.
The treatment must not be solely chosen on the basis of intensity of pain. It is important to learn the cause of the pain and then taking the treatment.
Ways to cure pain in the back
There are various kinds of cures available for pain in the upper back and relies on the causes, as already stated. If you sit or stand for a long time, there may be pain at the back. This may be relieved when you rest for some time. The following are some cures for pain at upper back:
- if the pain lasts for more than 2-3 days, you may use cold and heat treatment alternatively. Cold treatment should be followed by hot treatment. After the pain subsides, hot treatment is used to relax the region.
- the doctor may prescribe you anti-inflammatory drugs. Anti-inflammatory drug can give relief from pain or swelling on the region. There are some drugs that don’t have any side effects.
- Certain exercises can give relief from pain on various regions of the body including the back. Exercise is also a good Sciatica treatment. If you are not sure of how to do them, contact a physiotherapist. He may visit your place to teach you exercises. Stretching exercise can give relief from pain on upper back.
Causes of pain at the back
Some of the causes of back pain are accidents, poor posture, sports injuries and overuse of the back. Poor dietary habits, sedentary lifestyle, smoking and drinking can also cause pain at the back. Adopt healthy habits to ease pain on the back.
Physiotherapy at home is must to consider if you underwent back surgery. Arthritis is again the leading cause of pain at the back. To relieve the pain, you have to take treatment for it.